Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Santa's Rules

Every family does things a little differently; Christmas time is no exception!  Some families open all the "non-Santa" gifts on Christmas Eve and open Santa's gifts on Christmas Day.  Some families don't do Santa.  And in some families, Santa leaves the gifts unwrapped under the tree.  This makes me nuts.  I understand why people do it.  This Santa thing is a lot of stinkin' work.  And I can't imagine how my parents did it with three kids, but Santa wrapped every.single.item.  Well, maybe not bikes, but you get the picture.  Most of our Christmas traditions were adopted from my family.  

So here is how we do things at our house:
  • Everyone (even Mom & Dad) gets new pajamas to open and wear on Christmas Eve.  It's something that my grandparents did for my mom and her sister, and it is nice to know that in pictures, no one has a hole in an inappropriate place or mismatched jammies.  (And no, these are not from Santa.)
  • All other gifts are opened on Christmas Day, even non-Santa gifts.
  • Every single present is wrapped.  Separately.  I know.  I'm crazy and I'm ok with it.  Two years ago, I wrapped an Elmo potty seat.  Unboxed.  Yep, I've got skills.
  • Santa has different wrapping paper than Mom & Dad.  In my mind, this makes it all more believable.  Sometimes he has more than one type, but never the same as Mom & Dad's paper. 
  • Santa doesn't do gift tags.  He ain't got time for that.  He just uses a fat black sharpie.  And no "from Santa" on the gifts either.  You just know it's from Santa because a) it wasn't under the tree yesterday and b) the special Santa paper.
What are your Christmas traditions?  Are you making new ones with your family, keeping some old ones, or a little of both?


No comments:

Post a Comment