Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Babies or By-Products?

Ok, I admit it.  I can hold a grudge.  For a really long time.  The particular grudge I'm talking about today is against two people I haven't even met.  But when I read this article, my skin felt like fire.

If you don't have time to read it, I'll give you the short version.  A couple (Mary Beth and Michael Brummond), in suburban Chicago are protesting a fertility clinic's proposed opening.  Fair enough.  But they go a little too far when they start name-calling children.  Had the Brummonds said this in my presence, it would have been difficult to keep from pushing them into oncoming traffic.  I thought I'd get over it.  I still haven't; so I decided to write about it.

In all seriousness, I understand and respect the right to freedom of speech.  I'm glad that the Brummonds can say how they feel.  I'm also glad that I can tell them (or write about how) they are absolute, complete and total morons.  I can also respect that Mr. and Mrs. Brummond don't feel it is right to pursue IVF.  However, they have zero right to tell me I can't.  And to call the tens of thousands of children born in the US every year via IVF "a manufactured commodity....an object, a product" shows me that the Brummonds and I do not know the same God.  Just ask all the men and women who are not lucky enough to "manufacture" a baby.  If only it was as easy as manufacturing.

This is life we are talking about.  My son would not be here if it wasn't for IVF.  My precious child.  How on earth could you possibly deny fit parents the opportunity to pursue one of life's greatest joys?  How dare you imply that he should not exist.

I promise you this, Mr. and Mrs. Brummond:  If you are ever lucky enough to meet Dane, "product" is the last word you'd use to describe him.  He's happy, healthy, beautiful, vibrant, wonderful, and perfect in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment