Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

My birthday was Friday.  Do you want to know what I got?  I got to have surgery!  Seriously.  I can't complain though, it was my choice to have it that day.  I already had the day off, the in-laws were already planning on coming to visit so I knew they'd be able to help entertain Dane, and it would give me Saturday and Sunday to recuperate before having to return to work.

The surgery was very minor.  It was for the De Quervain's tendonitis that I developed within weeks after having Dane.  It's also referred to as "mother's thumb" or "baby wrist", both dumb-sounding, albeit appropriate names.  I have had two cortisone injections that hurt like only a giant needle in the wrist can.  When begging for a third after a year and a half of dealing with this issue, my doctor convinced me that surgery was really the best option.

The biggest issue has been dealing with being a temporary "lefty" and adhering to doctor's orders.  You know, things like no taking off splint, no getting incision wet, no picking up your child.  All of these were broken in less than 48 hours.  There was just no way I wasn't going to wash my forearm for over a week.  Not.gonna.happen.

My husband nearly lost his mind over this and kept saying things like "when your wrist is permanently jacked-up and you can never pick up our son again, you'll wish you had listened."  Very dramatic.  I can't blame him though.  He's just trying to make sure I stay healthy.  In all fairness to me though, I had an allergic reaction to the dressing (crazy, right?  Not if you know me!) and tons of tiny blisters were forming under the sterile tape.  I finally went to the doctor for an early follow-up today and he confirmed that yes, I was not crazy and I was reacting to the tape.  He pulled it off and told me I didn't have to wear the brace except for while sleeping and playing with Dane and I could resume most of my daily activities.  I'm free!

I'll spare you all from the photos.  You're welcome, Jamie.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment