Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Top Mommy Tools

I've been trying to convince Jamie (well, Jamie's been on board, so I guess it's really her husband Jake that I've been trying to convince) that they need a video monitor.  This got me thinking about all the stuff we registered for when I was pregnant with Dane and what we found truly useful.  So here it is, my "top mommy tools" list for mothers of newborns/young infants.  I've tried to put things in order of usefulness.

1.  Sound Machine - Dane still sleeps with his on full blast each night.  It drowns out everything from annoying dog noises to annoying neighbor noises.  We each even have a white noise app on our cell phones for car trips and travel.  For home use, do yourself a favor and buy one that doesn't time out and that can plug in and run on batteries.  That way you can run it all night long.  It's always the gift Jonathan and I buy for baby showers if one hasn't already been purchased for the expectant couple.


2.  Video Monitor - Dane slept in a travel crib/play yard in our bedroom for the first 8 months of his life.  Part of this was because he had infant reflux from hell and I was terrified he'd choke in his sleep and I wouldn't hear/be able to get to him in time.  The other part was pure laziness.  I liked being able to stumble the few steps to his "crib" in the middle of the night, stick his pacifier back in his mouth, and fall back into bed.  When we did finally move him to a real crib in his own room, the video monitor gave us peace of mind.  Now, it more or less lets us know if we really need to go in his room or not.  Is he just crying out in his sleep or does he need help finding Elmo?  And of course, it's nice to be able to use the zoom feature to watch him breathe for those moments when the crazy worrier in me rears its ugly head.

3.  Movement Monitor - We used this until Dane was 18 months old and the cords became more of a hazard than it was worth.  Whether this device would have really protected us in the awful event that Dane did stop breathing in the middle of the night I really don't know.  What I do know is that white baby boys born in the middle of winter have the highest incidence of SIDS than any other group.  While my child was not born in winter, he is white and he is a boy.  Even if my child had been a little Ethiopian girl born in August, I would have made this purchase just for the peaceful rest it allowed me and my husband.

4.  Breathable Bumpers - The usefulness of this invention is rather short lived.  But at around $25-30 a pop, it's a great investment.  It does what bumpers were intended to do (keep limbs out of crib rails and pacifiers/lovies inside the confines of the crib) without the bulkiness and thus the SIDS risk.  Once Dane was about 15 months old, we switched back to the pretty bumpers that came with his bedding set.

5.  Cool Mist Humidifier  - Dane has asthma.  This took quite a while to figure out but we knew from 3 months old that something wasn't quite right with his breathing.  We still run our cheapy cool mist humidifier every single night at the advice of Dane's ENT and pulmonologist.  Even if your kid doesn't have asthma, little tots get snotty and this helps.  No doubt about it.

6.  Microwave Sterlizer - This is so much easier than dealing with a plug-in version or boiling bottle parts.  Plus, we stored ours in the microwave so it was out of site.

7.  Velcro Swaddlers - It really doesn't matter what brand.  They're all great in my opinion.  And if you have a kid that likes to be swaddled, you don't want to be fumbling around trying to remember what they taught you at the hospital the day your kid was born.  Because chances are you were pretty dang tired and overwhelmed that day.  My son insisted on being swaddled to sleep for seven long months.  The swaddlers were definitely worth the investment for us.

8.  Petroleum Jelly - Only a parent could know how versatile this stuff is:  best diaper cream on earth, good for boo-boos, dry cheeks, and thermometer lube.  Plus, it's ridiculously cheap.  Do yourself a favor though and splurge on the squeeze tubes.  Who wants to deal with trying to put a lid back on a tub with a slippery hand and squalling infant?  Not this girl.

I hope this helps all the expectant mothers out there!  Let me know if you'd like my list of things that were definitely a waste for us.

5 comments:

  1. An expensive, but awesome, humidifier brand is GermGuardian. Really quiet, nice blue night light, and never grows algae, even if you are really bad about cleaning it. So good for pregnancy rhinitis, too, since you can't really take anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, do your waste list next! I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorin, I may have to invest in one of those! We've been buying the drop-ins from Target that help keep the water clean. They work fairly well but since we run that thing 10+ hours per day, I think it'd be a good investment. Waste list is up next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the snap and go...or something like that. The thing that you dop the baby carrier down into and you don't have to drg the big heavy stroller everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The heavy stroller was a lifesaver for us because my son hated his carseat. But if he didn't, we definitely would have purchased a snap n go.

    ReplyDelete