Sunday, March 4, 2012

Pinterest Strikes Again, StellaKit, and Weekend Fun

As usual, we've had a fantastic weekend.  We really enjoy running around town and playing with Dane all weekend.  Dane's getting over a raging yeast/diaper rash that's taken two trips to the pediatrician in the last week, but he finally seems to be on the mend.

We made a trip to Target, went grocery shopping, and saw the African Children's Choir.  Dane loved watching the children perform, but was not a huge fan of the "bait and switch" the church hosting the choir pulled.  We had to leave a little early to prevent a complete meltdown.  The fact that a 19 month old sat and quietly participated for almost an hour was good enough to make us proud.  We went and had pizza with Jake, Jamie, and Owen afterward and watched Dane practically inhale an appetizer plate of hummus.  Owen's on the mend from a virus so I think the boys just talked about healthcare reform the whole time.

I cleaned out and reorganized our tiny pantry.  If I wasn't aware of how necessary this was beforehand, the three opened containers of canola oil and seven (yes, seven) open varieties of bread crumbs assured me that my time was not wasted.

This weekend, I've tried three different Pinterest ideas.  Here they are:

1.  Rag Roll:  The model's finished product had me so excited.  The curls were just perfect and so sweet looking.  But I've learned my lesson;  I always try these new 'dos on the weekend.  So Friday night, I cut up an old t-shirt of Jonathan's and happily rag-rolled my head.  My result?  Straight hair for the the first 6 to 8 inches of hair, followed by giant white girl fro for the bottom 6 to 8 inches.  I had to put it up in a pony tail just to make a Target trip.  Dane was mesmerized by the poofy mess and kept saying "hair," touching mine, and then touching his and Jonathan's.  My hair just holds curl far too well for some of these styles.  Maybe I'll try rolling it dry next time.  On a weekend, of course.

2.  Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes:  I haven't actually tried one yet, but I've licked the bowl clean and the lemon-cream cheese icing is ridiculous!  And I don't even normally love cream cheese icing.  I garnished with more fresh blueberries like in the photo and they sure are pretty.  Which leads me to number 3....

3.  Thrifty Cupcake Carrier:  The re-purposed Christmas gift boxes (which have already been around the block a few times thanks to my being so cheap) was cut with an x-acto knife to hold the yummies.  It was a little difficult to make sure the holes were just the right size, but thanks to Jonathan's help, my cupcakes should be able to safely travel to dinner tonight.  Due to the fact that there is icing all over the "carrier" and it can't be washed I'll have to toss it tonight.  Jonathan said he'll buy me a real one the next time one shows up on Brad's Deals or Woot.  It feels like a frivolous item to have, and it is, but as much as I've been baking lately, it would be used frequently.

One more thing....  Do you love free stuff?  I know I do!  My friend Kati's Etsy store, StellaKit Designs, is giving away a free wipes case (also good for makeup/accessories) on Jamie's blog, Laughter Ever After.  Click here to find out how to enter!  Kati is so talented and you really don't want to miss out.

No comments:

Post a Comment